NORMANSTONE

Pretty Prospects / Georgetown Heights

Normanstone

Woodley

Clifton

Burleith

Northview

St. Albans Church

Weston

Greenwood

Poor House

Belvoir

Lyonís Mill

Between the end of the eighteenth and the mid-nineteenth centuries, the part of Georgetown known as Pretty Prospects saw construction of not only Barnardís Normanstone, but also a score of other notable homes and families arrived. In alphabetical order, these included: Belvoir owned by Dr. Samuel C. Busey in 1858; Burleith built by Richard Smith Cox about 1849. Cox was a colonel of the DC militia and was employed by the War Department until he resigned to become paymaster in the Confederate Army. Clifton built by COL Charles Ellet Jr. in 1857. Ellet was a civil engineer who built suspension bridges and built a fleet of ram-ships that were instrumental in the defeat of Memphis; Greenwood built by Thomas Plater in 1806 and owned by Conrad Schwarz, an engraver who engraved the 1818 Robert King map of Washington.

Lyonís Mill was owned by the Lyons family from 1811 to 1873. When sold in 1874, it included an 18 room mansion and a flour mill with a capacity of 140 barrels per day; Northview built sometime before 1852 and occupied by Cornelius and Margaret Barber until purchased in 1881 for the Naval Observatory. Oak Hill Cemetery was incorporated in 1849 and is the final resting place of many notable residents of the area, especially in the Civil War period. Many of the past residents of Normanstone are interred at Oak Hill.

The Poor House of Georgetown, built in 1832, became the Industrial Home School in 1875. Red Hill was the site of the Army Signal Camp of Instruction under the command of MAJ Albert Myer. It became the birthplace of the Army Signal Corps. St. Albans Church, established in 1854, was the first free Episcopal church in DC (present site of the National Cathedral);

Weston was built about 1805 and purchased in 1817 by Thomas L. McKenney (employed at the Bureau of Indian Affairs), by Judge Buckner Thruston (1828-1836), Dr. Septimus Davis (1836-1843) and in 1843 to James H. Causten, an agent for the settlement of claims against the United States; and finally Woodley, built by Phillip Barton Key (uncle of Francis Scott Key) in 1798 and owned by Lorenzo Thomas from 1849 until 1859 (presently the Maret School). General Thomas was adjutant general of the Army during and after the Civil War. He was appointed temporary Secretary of War by President Andrew Johnson, precipitating Johnsonís impeachment.

Red Hill

Oak Hill Cemetery

Robert W. McGuire, Jr.

Text Box: ↑N